News

Lack of precipitation still a concern for Illinois farmer

A western Illinois farmer says even with the recent snowfall, he’s still concerned about soil moisture.

Brady Holst tells Brownfield he’d like to see more precipitation before planting season gets underway.  “I know as we’ve done some tiling and stuff over the winter, it really hasn’t built up to the amount that we would normally be at,” he says. “It’s pretty dry once you get about a foot down.”

He says he continues to monitor the price and availability of inputs. “There’s always a possibility with global unrest, for things change where you kind of start running into not being able to get chemicals or prices being high,” he says.

According to the latest drought monitor, nearly 51 percent of Hancock County, where Holst farms, is considered in moderate drought, the other 49% is classified as abnormally dry. 

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published.


 

Stay Up to Date

Subscribe for our newsletter today and receive relevant news straight to your inbox!