News

Wisconsin to get 1B in federal broadband funding

Wisconsin will be getting more than a billion dollars in federal funding to expand broadband access to unserved and underserved areas. 

White House Senior Advisor Mitchell Landrieu says the formula for dispersing funds will serve rural America focusing first on unserved areas, and then underserved areas. “If you are engaged in agriculture, the ability to engage in precision agriculture with the best and the brightest in the entire world, you know, it doesn’t really matter physically where you are. Obviously, the same thing is true on health care which is so critically important.”

Senator Tammy Baldwin says farmers need broadband access. “Good broadband allows our farmers and producers to track commodity markets and access new markets around the world, all of this on top of the everyday uses.”

Baldwin pushed the Federal Communications Commission to update its broadband coverage maps so the dollars would go where they’re needed most.  Congress held off on announcing the new funding until the maps were updated.

During a Monday press conference, Senator Tammy Baldwin, Congressman Mark Pocan, and White House Senior Advisor Mitchell Landrieu said the Broadband Equity Access and Deployment or BEAD program will award the first 20% with competitive subgrants in 2024, with the state administering the remaining 80% in 2025.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published.


 

Stay Up to Date

Subscribe for our newsletter today and receive relevant news straight to your inbox!

Brownfield Ag News